Date(s) - 09/12/2016
12:30 pm - 2:00 pm
What would Twitter look like if its users collectively owned and governed the platform? The microblogging service would probably look very different, since they would be oriented to maximize user concerns rather than the constant pursuit of more profit. A group has been organizing as #BuyTwitter and #WeAreTwitter to make this vision a reality.
Join the Google Hangout to hear from a panel of experts about the prospects of the #BuyTwitter initiative and the practicalities of converting existing digital services into user-owned and controlled platforms. The panelists will be particularly focused on the project’s financial viability and the use of co-op conversion strategies to make this possible.
* Douglas Rushkoff — Media theorist, writer, columnist, lecturer, graphic novelist, and documentarian.
* Nathan Schneider — Scholar in residence of media studies at the University of Colorado Boulder & leading thinker on the platform co-op movement
* Rachael Lamkin —Lawyer, investor, founder Lamkin IP Defense & Right Dog Capital
* David Hammer — Executive Director of the Industrial Cooperative Association (ICA) Group
* Christopher D. Cook — Author and award-winning investigative journalist
Join us on Google Hangouts and take part in the conversation!